IGNORERAD

Thaksin: Demokrati är inte mitt mål.

MaiChai

Ett nyhetsklipp från december 2003 där Thakisn Shinawatra ger sin syn på demokrati- som tur är verkar han ha ändrat uppfattning idag...

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power

Bangkok: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed.

In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used.

"Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress."

In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies.

"Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices."

Amid threats of total domination by the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party, the minor coalition partner, academics and opposition MPs agree there is an urgent need to sharpen the teeth of independent constitutional bodies and empower a parliamentary system of checks and balances.

"I don't think there's a need to amend the charter right now," said Thaksin. "Maybe they want to because they want to censure me in Parliament."

Many rules within the Constitution are said to be playing into the hands of Thaksin as they seem to ease his on-going consolidation of power and expansionist philosophy. Among them is the requirement that a censure motion against the prime minister has to be signed by at least 200 MPs.

Before leaving for the Asean-Japan summit in Tokyo, Thaksin avoided actually naming the Chat Thai Party, which has proposed a public referendum to amend the Constitution coinciding with the 2005 general election.

"If they really want to do it for good reasons, why didn't they do it earlier when they had enough support in Parliament?" Thaksin said. "There's no real need to change the highest law at the moment. If we do have implementation problems, we can review the Constitution's organic laws."

The Chat Thai Party has set up a working group to review the Constitution. But the study could take a long time, its leader Banharn Silapa-archa confirmed yesterday, at the risk of upsetting his powerful ally.

"We are reviewing both the charter and organic laws, as we think that it's time to amend the Constitution," said Banharn. "But I can't say whether we can finish in time for the next election."

Chat Thai leaders have said the charter has failed to produce an adequate system of checks and balances in the political system, as a single party dominates Parliament and many independent constitutional bodies.

Once lauded as one of the best constitutions the country has had, the 1997 charter is seen by a growing number of critics as having failed to cope with the realities of Thai politics in the era of Thaksin's political and business empire.

Chat Thai wants all political parties represented when selecting members of key independent bodies, which have been under growing influence of Thai Rak Thai.

Snoh Thienthong, leader of the Wang Nam Yen faction of Thai Rak Thai, also alluded to support for constitutional amendment and suggested Thaksin was the reason to review the charter.

"The prime minister's thoughts run faster than the Constitution, so it might be necessary to change the law to keep up with him. He's a commander who moves faster than his army," Snoh said.

Former Constitution Drafting Assembly members who wrote the existing charter have backed calls for amendment to bolster the checks-and-balances mechanism before it falls apart.

"When we made it a rule that the censure motion must be submitted by at least 200 MPs, we never envisaged any party would one day have the staggering influence of 400 MPs in Parliament," said Decho Sawananont, one of the charter-drafters. "This hampers the opposition's work and the future looks bleak."

--The Nation 2003-12-11

"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it"- Aung San Suu Kyi
"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza
"Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience"
"Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true" -Homer Simpson

www.destinationasien.se 

Dela på andra sajter

"Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress."

Jag undrar om jag inte håller med Dr. Thaksin i detta. Kör han den linjen så får han min röst!

สีลม

Dela på andra sajter

I det menar han kanske att inte alla outbildade bönder skall få rösta för då blir det skit med demokratin !! :ironi:

Being nice is overrated - Garfield

Dela på andra sajter

andersbangkok

"The prime minister's thoughts run faster than the Constitution, so it might be necessary to change the law to keep up with him. He's a commander who moves faster than his army," Snoh said.

Det här är typiskt för Thaksin.fort och ingen känsla för demokrati eller parlamentarism. Tänk att behöva ändra Konstitutionen för att hålla takt med hans vildhjärne-idéer!

Demokrati?????

Carpenters inlägg: "Faktum är att du tror att du är i maktens korridorer ock minsann kan. Du vet inget kan inget för att du är för upptagen med dig själv."
"Inte lätt att vara kostym nisse o inte förstå"

Dela på andra sajter

Att Thaksin ändrar sig oftare än vissa byter skjorta är ju ingen direkt hemlighet.

2003 när han satt säkert i toppen var ju inte "Demokrati" så viktigt som det tydligen är idag, någon konstitution ville han absolut inte ändra.

Konstigt att ingen av hans supportrar sett detta, men det är väl en fabrikerad artikel av de rika, militären, makteliten, Joakim Von Anka och några till för att svärta ner demokrtiförkämpen som borde nämnas i samma andetag som Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kuyi, Mahtahma Ghandi, Vaclav Havel och Lech Walensa.

Redan 2003 svartmålade borgarbrackorna honom i media...

"It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it"- Aung San Suu Kyi
"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza
"Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience"
"Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true" -Homer Simpson

www.destinationasien.se 

Dela på andra sajter

Arkiverad

Denna tråd är arkiverad och kan inte skrivas i.

Hem
Nytt
Logga in

Logga in

• Skapa ny...