IGNORERAD

Varning för het väderlek under songkrahn

Steinlager

WEATHER

Country braces for 43-degree scorcher

By: Apinya Wipatayotin

Published: 30/01/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

This summer will be slightly hotter than last year with a high of 43 degrees Celsius forecast in some northern and northeastern provinces in April, the Meteorological Department says.

The impact of the La Nina weather phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean will also increase rainfall in the country, department chief Somchai Baimoung said yesterday.

The impact of La Nina will last until the middle of this year.

Mr Somchai played down fears that Thailand might suffer a heatwave similar to the one that has ravaged Australia where at least two people have died from the scorching weather.

The mercury reached 45.6 degrees in Adelaide, South Australia, on Wednesday, the hottest temperature recorded there in 70 years.

"Don't panic," he said. "There is a very low possibility that a heat wave will happen in Thailand."

According to the department's 30-year statistics, Thailand's hottest day was recorded on April 25, 2007, when the temperature hit 44 degrees in Tak province.

Thailand will enter summer in the middle of next month. There are 39 provinces in the North and Northeast likely to face extreme weather conditions of up to 43 degrees. They include Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun, Sukhothai, Tak, Udon Thani and Sakhon Nakhon.

Temperatures in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces are expected to range between 37 and 39 degrees this summer.

The country should also prepare for tropical storms in March and April, the department said.

Chulalongkorn University's lecturer Anond Snidwongs, director of climate research agency Start, said Thailand's average temperature tended to rise each year.

"According to our study, the average temperature in Mae Hong Son will be up between 0.6 to 1 degree Celsius," he said.

The agency has worked with the United Nations Development Programme to forecast social and economic impacts of climate change and create adaptation plans.

Meanwhile, the Rockefeller Foundation has pledged financial support to Thailand to develop a strategy on climate change resilience in major cities.

Thailand has been selected as the fourth country after India, Vietnam, and Indonesia to join the foundation's Climate Change Resilience Network which aims to help urban communities cope with climate change.

The network was established following scientific predictions that people in major cities in Asia would be severely affected by global warming and climate change.

Under the five-year climate change resilience project, which will end in 2012, the foundation would grant US$70 million (2.4 billion baht) to selected cities to develop guidelines to protect urban populations from the lethal impacts of climate change.

Dela på andra sajter

Att vara i Thailands inland den här årstiden, veckorna innan regnen börjar falla, avundas jag ingen. Är på tok för hett och inte alls att jämföra med värmen man upplever under vintern eller under regnperioden. Nä, just nu är vädret i Sverige betydligt bättre i en jämförelse, även om det är långkalsonger på som gäller.

Ge dem du älskar vingar att flyga, rötter att komma tillbaka till och anledningar att stanna. "Dalai Lama"

Dela på andra sajter

Guest paw-76

Instämmer med Kim . Känns skönt att vara i Sverige den här tiden på året. Förra året var jag i Roi et den här tiden. Fick ta in på hotel med ac för att kunna sova

på natten, då vi bara hade fläkt i huset.

Så Sverige är inte så dumt ibland, långkalsonger eller ej.

Dela på andra sajter

I går kväll kom regnet under sista manaden har det varit varm  :heat:   och inget regn många jordbrukare lider.

Direkt rapport  Issan Chum Phae nara Khon Kaen

Det finns ingen vatten i Chiang Rai heller!  :yes:

Mvh

Kimmo

You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Dela på andra sajter

Har aldrig klagat på värme hur varmt det än varit och det kommer nog adrig att ske heller.

Står valet valet mellan långkalsonger eller värme så är svaret givet. Var i Khon Kaen för några år

sedan, tror det var i april, då det var riktigt varmt boendes i ett rum utan aircon. Det var varmt.

Men klaga? Skulle aldrig falla mig in. Tycker man har blivit allt mer känslig för kylan de senaste åren

efter alla vinterresor till värmen. Nu räcker det nästan med att termometern står på noll för att man ska

vilja vända vid ytterdörn. :sorry:

"People are strange. They are constantly angered by trivial things, but on a major matter like totally wasting their lives,they hardly seem to notice." -  Charles Bukowski

Dela på andra sajter

Arkiverad

Denna tråd är arkiverad och kan inte skrivas i.

Hem
Nytt
Logga in

Logga in

• Skapa ny...